2018 Wilkes Sweetheart Stories

print
<< Back

2018 Wilkes Sweetheart Stories

For this year's Sweetheart Story feature, we had a record number of submissions, totaling 18! These love stories come in all shapes and sizes - from long-time married couples, to current students. With that being said, we had such a difficult time choosing a winner, we chose two couples to be featured on our website and social media. Congratulations to this year's winners!
Diane Fendrock-McFarlane '92 and Courtney McFarlane '89 (Facebook and Instagram feature)
Deirdre Lynch '08 and Matthew Navin '07 (e-newsletter banner and website feature)

Cassie Sailus Brown '07  and Michael Brown '04
We met the beginning of my senior year/her freshman year. It was the very first day of the fall semester when we both happened to attend the same Commuter Council meeting. We sat next to each other and immediately started talking. After the meeting, we decided to attend a party together. That night, she went home and told her mother that I was the man she was going to marry. We started dating and fell in love. I attended medical school while she attended optometry school. We married in May of 2008. Following school, we moved to Oklahoma when we both decided to join the U.S. Army. Our love survived my deployment to Afghanistan and a pretty significant health scare for her. Our relationship has blessed us with two beautiful children and a lot of love. 

Debbie Hynoski Burnetti '77 and Jim Burnetti '77
I enrolled during the first year Wilkes offered an Environmental Science degree. A couple of years later, my now lovely wife switched from the Chemistry program to Environmental Science. We were lab partners - both bright, opinionated, and sometimes submitted separate lab reports on a group project because we both "knew" how to write the report up better. We had good times, trapping and counting mice on culm dumps. She partially paid for school on Veterans benefits - since her father died when she was six from complications of malaria contracted during World War II. She knew a lot of Vietnam Vets, and I became an honorary veteran, playing right field and point guard for the Veterans Club (including an intramural championship our senior year) - and great social events, like the time Tom accidentally set his pants on fire sitting too close to the fire at a picnic. She recently quit her job to pursue a long postponed project - writing a book based on her father's letters to her mother during the war. Great dates in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton during that time period. Pocono Downs, Scranton Apollos minor league basketball, complete with bleacher brawls. I knew she was sassy when at a party, she held up a bucket of water near my head. I said she wouldn't do that. I never made that mistake again! The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. One of my favorite haunts was hanging around at her brother's pizza shop, getting free pizza from the gal behind the counter. One of my hobbies today is running the social media for that same old pizza shop. We got married in September of 1978, moved to the Washington DC area in search of jobs, and have been there ever since. I started applying the earth sciences doing Test Ban Treaty research, got into the environmental thing, did 3D spinning models of hazardous waste sites, and do IT related to earth sciences to this day. She spent time between the American Geological Institute and Hazardous Materials Technical Center, and then took the job of raising Tony Burnetti, PhD, very seriously. We love travelling, and the three of us will be heading to the Galapagos this September for a 40th Anniversary celebration. All because I discovered Wilkes on a summer job shoveling mud after Agnes, and a really interesting gal from Nanticoke changed majors. And they lived happily ever after... Still going strong.

Samantha Mulvihill '10 and Ben Caiola '12 
Ben and I met in April 2009 while on campus. We quickly realized our home towns were near one another and after a summer together at home we returned to Wilkes for my senior year. After graduation, I returned home and Ben continued his education at Wilkes. Two years later, he graduated and we finally started our lives together. Ben was successfully pursuing his engineering career while i focused on my career in education. In 2014 we bought a house in NJ and got engaged. We were married May 6, 2016 and welcomed our perfect little boy just 1 year later, May 9, 2017. Our story is not nearly over but all of our dreams have come true.

Michelle Arnold Callahan '08 and David Callahan '08 
We met our last year of college in 2007. We actually met at work and I realized he went to Wilkes University as well. We must have passed each other on campus not knowing we would end up spending the rest of our lives together. We spent the last year of college building the foundation of the amazing love story we have today. We got married on September 15, 2013.

Mariah Kresefski '17 and Tony DeSando '17 
Before continuing our educational journey at Wilkes University, Mariah and I both went to Old Forge High School together. Back in 5th grade she was my first girlfriend and I was her first boyfriend. However being young and naive, I broke off the relationship. We went on through our high school career as more of classmates instead of friends, but I never stopped liking Mariah. I always wanted to have another relationship with her, but I was too shy. In high school we both met other people and we were in separate relationships for 4-6 years. Then I found out before graduation that we were both going to Wilkes to study nursing. I even got to sit next to her at graduation (I had to move my seat because I was fooling around with my friends too much). Fast forward to the night before welcome weekend we were communicating through twitter (because I was too scared to ask for her number). But Mariah who is never shy of anything says to me “do you want my number or are you going to just mention me in Twitter post?” We spent the whole weekend together. I’ll never forget when she came to my dorm to go see the magition that was performing. She looked so beautiful I thought to myself, “Tony, you idiot, this is the one that got away.” Our first year we spent almost every day together and studying for anatomy and physiology late into the night. I don’t know what I would have done with out her. All my friends and teammates from the football team would always ask me who she was, and they told me to “talk them up” to her. I was always respectful since she still had a boyfriend I would say she’s off the market. Deep down, I knew that they weren’t going to last and I was going to be there for her. The next year she told me that she wasn’t going to dorm anymore instead she was going to commute from home. I was crushed I thought I was never going to see her again. I made it my first priority to see her everyday in the library in between classes. I have sacrificed many naps and not being on campus to spend time with her. By this time I was starting to feel more than just friends with Mariah. The feelings that I had for her would be in my mind every time we would hang out. Now into our junior year I had changed my major to criminology but that still didn’t stop me from see Mariah every day at the library. Also this was the year that my relationship had ended. So my feelings for Mariah turned into a deep infatuation. However, through out this whole time I wasn’t sure if Mariah felt the same way since she was still in her relationship and I didn’t want to come in between anything. I would talk to other girls but I only wanted Mariah - nothing else seemed right. This is where the story gets interesting. Senior year was the year that she had ended here relationship and I was so relieved. But I was still shy and didn’t tell her how I felt and she started talking to another guy. I was so jealous I wanted that to be me, but I knew this guy was just a rebound and nothing would come of it. Sure enough she texted me and said that guy was a loser. We talked a little about relationship and she said she would never find anyone. It was then I said to her “what about me?”. It was then that she said she had feelings for me this entire time and she was in the same predicament as me with being in a relationship and didn’t know how to tell each other. We started to hang out outside of the library. We went to pitchers together one night and I was so nervous because I was still worried If she really liked me. After pitchers we went to my apartment and sat there for a little. Then with the bluntness that only Mariah has, she said to me “so are you going to kiss me or are we just going to stare at the ceiling all night”. So we did (I later found out that she thought the kiss was awful but assured me that I had made up for it and I was just nervous). A month after that I asked her to be my girlfriend and this summer will be our 2 year anniversary. I will be forever grateful to Wilkes for Bringing Mariah and I closer than ever. Everyday I love her so much more and don’t know what I would do without her. 

Jonathan Kadjeski '13 and Jennifer Earley Kadjeski '13 
Jonathan and Jennifer first met in the SUB lounge during their freshmen semester and the love just wasn't there. They quickly became friends with each other's friends, forming a group that was known for always having somebody sitting in 'their lounge.' Eventually, their loves for history and teaching tore down the walls between them, and they eventually began dating during that first year. They fell in love when they saw each other's dedication to students. This was more than enough for her to see through his intellectual confidence and for him to see past her support of the 76ers. Whether planning History Club events, writing papers until 4 a.m. in the since retired SUB computer lounge, or working together for the Wilkes Upward Bound program, their friendship blossomed into a romance. After six years, Jonathan finally proposed, at Peacefield, under a tree planted by John Quincy Adams. They married on October 28, 2018 at First Presbyterian Church, Wilkes-Barre - across the street from Wilkes. Their wedding pictures? Taken on Wilkes campus, and in Kirby Hall (the best building on campus!). Their wedding party included four Wilkes alumni and one current Wilkes student. So, now that they've wed, what are they doing now? Jennifer works for a Wilkes Education alumni and is getting her Masters in Early Childhood Literacy from Wilkes. Jonathan can't seem to stay away either, working, among other teaching positions, as an Adjunct teaching English 101 right here at Wilkes, holding office hours in that beautiful Kirby Hall. Who knows where their next chapters will take them, but they'll conquer them like the proud Colonels they are!

Sinclair Mason '18 and Shane Haley '19 
It started off second semester sophomore year, through mutual friends, neither one of us particularly interested in the other. I originally was supposed to have a date with someone else in his dorm Slocum, but I got stood up and waited for about two hours before realizing it. Shane had kept me company the whole time and even offered to salvage my horrible date night. That night was the first time in a long time that I felt like myself. He handed me a nerf gun and we battled until the wee hours. I can honestly say that it was one of the best nights of my life. It will be three years that we are together in April and I can say that I’ve never been happier or so lucky to have been stood up that night. 

Jennifer Lipton '02, MS '09 and Nathan Lipton '00 
We met at Artillery Park in Nate’s senior year while he was playing baseball for the Colonels. Jen would see him in the Student Union building between classes and we started chatting on instant messenger and hanging out. Three years later we got engaged in front of Nate’s old apartment at Wilkes. We have been married for 13 years and have two beautiful children, Gabe and Elise, and a dog named Taylor Wilkes Lipton. 

Diane Fendrock-McFarlane '92 and Courtney McFarlane '89 
Courtney and I met my freshman year at Wilkes (1988). He was on crutches from a football injury and we were out on a weekend with friends. I stayed behind to walk with him on his crutches to a friends apartment. We’ve been together ever since. Courtney graduated in winter 1989 and I lived in Weiss Hall until graduation in 1992. Courtney moved to Florida, but couldn’t live without me! He moved back. We married in February 1994. We have two children. Lydia who is 15 and Aidan who is 13. We stayed in Wilkes Barre, and have lived in South Wilkes Barre for over 20 years. I am a guidance counselor at E. L. Meyers High School, and Courtney is the manager at Fairfield BMW in Montoursville. Thank you Wilkes for bringing us together!! Without you, we wouldn’t be possible!!!

Amber Konopka '14 and Antonio Miller '15 
We met at Wilkes, multiple times through mutual friends but never really spoke more than just a hello. At a party in 2012, we were reintroduced by a very good friend, and coincidentally hit it off immediately, not remembering we had met a few times before. Once exchanging small tidbits about both of our days on campus, we realized we had run into each other a lot more often than realized. Our first night hanging out, we instantly became inseparable. Now, five and a half years later, we are engaged and have a wonderful son who will be turning one the day before Valentine's Day! 

Ashley Mroczka '07 and Justin Mroczka '07 
I saw my sweetheart for the first time playing in an intramural basketball game. He didn't see me though and I was hoping to encounter him again soon. Finally, we formally met in 2006 at the famous dive bar known as Murray's. A few days later, we started dating. Almost 12 years later, we have two beautiful children and will celebrate 8 years of marriage this year!

Deirdre Lynch '08 and Matthew Navin '07 
Back in the fall of 2004 up at Wilkes University we meet through a mutual friend at the time. I was immediately interested but was informed by the mutual friend that Matt was interested in another friend so I thought that was the end of that. In the Spring semester we meet again although I didn't immediately recognize him as he cut his once very long hair and was clean shaven. We struck up a friendship over Instant Messenger with hints of flirtation here and there. Over the summer Matt traveled down my hometown to see me in a community theatre production of "Carousel". While I knew he was coming down what we didn't know for that matter was that he would be bringing me my favorite flower White Stargazer Lilies (something I had never told him about). I took that as a sign but was still reluctant to pursue a relationship especially over the summer. Once we got back to school in Fall 2005 after several obstacles we finally went on their first date on November 5, 2005. After having dinner with several friends we went back to Matt's dorm room (Barre Hall) to watch the 1967 version of the Mel Brooks film "The Producers" and Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away". After walking me to her door step at Fortinsky Hall, we went into hug each other and shared our first kiss (to this day it is debatable as to who initiated the kiss). Over ten years later Matt took me back to that door step and asked me to be his wife and I of course said yes. We even had our engagement pictures taken around campus as Wilkes will always hold a special place in our hearts for bringing us together.
Rhonda Lynch Parfitt '14 and Jason Parfitt '15 
We were both Criminology majors but met in an English class in the fall of 2012. We spent a year being friends before our friendship turned into something a bit more committed. After 11 months of dating, we were engaged in August 2014. We were married May 17, 2015, the day after Jason's graduation from Wilkes! We experienced the loss of our first two children through miscarriage and are now expecting our third child, a son, due February 13th. Talk about a sweetheart story! 

Jeanine Bolinski Pyzniak '87 and Jim Pysniak '87 
Jim and I met the third week of our freshman year in 1982. We met in the courtyard of Stark Learning Center... Because my friend said she thought he was cute and that she might want to go out with him. From then on, we hung out with our friends through all of our years there. We became best friends. We shared stories of those we were interested in, of broken hearts, of graduation, of everything. It wasn't overnight... It took us a while to realize that what we loved was right in front is the whole time. We were married the third weekend in September 10 years later on September 19, 1992. Nine years after that we had our son, Kevin, in September!

Kelly Pleva '14 and Brandon Scott '13 
I met Brandon at the beginning of my freshman year during chorus rehearsals at the Darte Center. Being that he was older than me, we never really spoke, and I just admired him as the “cute, older chorus guy” before getting to know his name. The entire school year went by, and I still never got up the nerve to say something. Finally, during the last days of school before commencement rehearsal that year, I thought that it was now or never and walked straight up to him and told him that his bow tie was crooked, and that I should fix it, hoping it would lead to some sort of ice breaker. With the silence finally broken, we began to talk more and more and realized we had much more in common than just chorus. He finally asked for my number in the Summer of 2011, we went on our first date soon after, and the rest is history! This February marks 6 and a half years for us, and we couldn’t be happier. Moral of the story: don’t be afraid to make the first move! It definitely changed our lives for the better. Music seems to bring people together for multiple reasons! 

Marisa Farronato '15 and Brendan Sheldon '14 
Brendan and Marisa met and started dating in Fall of 2013 at Wilkes University, where they both attended. They caught each others eye at a party through mutual friends, a week later Marisa and her roommates threw a Halloween party and the rest is history! They both joke around about how nervous they were to speak to one another. In July of 2016 they bought their first home, and decided to throw an "Ugly Sweater Christmas Party" that December. Everyone showed up wearing their best ugly sweater in hopes of winning a prize! They gave out 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prices to friends and family that attended the party. Brendan then raised his hand to get everyone's attention. Marisa just thought he was thanking everyone for coming. He then announced that he had one more prize and that it was for her and proposed! Since there were about 20+ people surrounding them, you can guess what happened next.....LOUD CHEERS. Engagement photos were taken on campus. Brendan was also a member of the men’s basketball team. Wedding date: 6/16/18.

Sarah Bedford '17 and Bernie Socha '16, MS '18
Love at first sight wasn’t exactly the case for Bernie and I; not for our schooling and not for our relationship. Bernie and I had no intentions of going to Wilkes. A year apart, but connected on some level, each of us had plans to go elsewhere. Luckily for us, Wilkes has a way of putting you right where you belong. Bernie and I met in September of my freshman year. My best friend Emma Leach ’17 and I were to take over the club Bernie was the standing treasurer for. I had jokingly told Emma that if Bernie fit all my requirements for “The One” I called dibs. We laugh now because I decided that I wasn’t interested after our first meeting. We became good friends though—Bernie even trying to sneak a date or two in (though I really didn’t know I was being asked out!) After his failed attempts to get my attention, I finally asked him out. Thank goodness he agreed! We started dating in August of 2014. Our relationship was not sunshine and rainbows: months into our relationship my health declined rapidly. I told Bernie not to stick around, I didn’t really know what was wrong but I couldn’t blame him for not wanting to get involved—but he did anyway. In December of 2017 Bernie proposed—on his own terms. I had always said I would love a Wilkes proposal in the fall. Technically I got that. Bernie proposed on December 17, 2017 (still technically fall) with the help of a fellow Colonel,Brian Schoonmaker '16, MS '18. We’re planning an October 2020 wedding with a very Colonel-packed bridal party!

Julie Weilage '07 and Jason Weilage PharmD '10 
Jason and I first met in fifth grade while we were attending Tunkhannock Area Middle School. It took him some time to finally ask me out on a date (haha) but that finally came when we were both freshmen at Wilkes. As I struggled through my first year of college, Jason stood by to support me, study with me, and get me through when I just wanted to give up. I pushed through and after changing my major from biology and finding a better fit in psychology, I proudly graduated cum laude in 2007 with my degree in psychology. Shortly after Jason graduated from the Wilkes pharmacy program in 2010, we were married! It was one of the most joyous days of my life when I could finally say that I was married to my best friend. As we began our new life together as husband and wife, we felt like we had it all and everything was perfect. However, after only two years, my sweet mother passed away suddenly. I felt so lost at that time and again just wanted to give up. But yet again, Jason was there to be my strength and my shoulder to cry on. I was also diagnosed with epilepsy a few months after that and my loving husband has stuck by me through all of it. We continued to suffer more losses with the passing of my father and our first baby the following year, but with our faith and each other, Jason and I have continued to carry each other through it all and come out on top. Just after those two hard years, we were blessed with the arrival of our baby boy, Noah, in 2014. He's truly the light of our life! I'm so thankful for the time that Jason and I were both at Wilkes together because they were the first years that we spent building our relationship. Those days gave us many fun memories (sorry again, Jason, for throwing a shoe at your head while we were in Evans) and I'll always be smiling looking back on all that. Thank you also to all the staff and professors at Wilkes who helped us along the way!